Friday, July 27, 2007

The Age of Innocence - Wharton

It's New York City in the 1870's. A member of one of the leading families is on the verge of announcing his engagement with a young lady from another leading family when he meets someone new. He meets the cousin of his fiance, a woman who is under a cloud of disgrace because of a broken marriage. No matter how much he tries to deny it, he has fallen for her.
The rules of his tribe are certain and strict. His soon to be beloved and his actual love must be treated in certain ways and no matter what he does, society gets in the way. What should he do and what use will it be? That's what this book was about.
This was the Pulitzer winner of 1921. It's interesting as a look at pre-electricity New York. Wharton turns a nice phrase now and again and the book poses interesting questions about marriage and love and what happens when they almost intersect. But, man, I found this book dull. If you get bored hearing about the latest pairings and break-ups in Hollywood, skip this book. Not a bad book, but not nearly a great one either.
I couldn't stop comparing it to 'Gone With the Wind' which won the Pulitzer in 1937 and was a superior book to this in many ways. You still had the conflict of love and marriage but Scarlett O'Hara is a much more interesting protagonist than Newland Archer. Plus you have the more colorful southern society instead of the embalmed New York one. Even at twice the length, it was a more enjoyable ride. If I'd made the original list, I'd swapped these two.

2 comments:

MamaD4 said...

I'm wondering if you've seen the movie...? I really have loved every Edith Wharton book I've read and own many of them. It was useful to me to watch the movie first so that I could keep everyone straight, all the families. The movie, which is a Scorcese (so no piece of fluff, mind you) is extremely well done with much attention to period detail. Seriously, without grossing you out, I think that the scene where Newland and the "other woman" are in the carriage and he imagines removing her glove and kissing her wrist (which of course, is totally verboten) is one of the most erotic scenes I've ever seen. So, have you seen the movie? And if you want better Edith Wharton, try "The House of Mirth".

I do agree that Scarlett O'Hara is the better heroine, but you understand that Newland's mousy little wife had a bit more moxy than he perhaps supposed.

Peder said...

No, I haven't seen the movie. I'll keep an eye out for it though, if you think it'll help. Sounds like you should have Hans watch the wrist kissing thing. Maybe he could pick up some pointers.
Yes, I understood that about Newland's wife. She obviously understood more than he gave her credit for. Maybe that's what rang false to me, Newland's inability to really understand people. His wife being a prime example, but also his love interest. Could be that I'm bored by the problems of the rich and famous, too.