Thursday, July 19, 2007

Waiting lists

We went to Barnes & Noble at Har-Mar tonight to look for music for labor. The FP Gal wants something like this. There was Harry Potter stuff all over the store because of the upcoming release. They've even put tape arrows on the floor of the music section to guide the buyers.
We're both fans of the series, but not fans enough to go to a midnight selling. In fact we're not even fans enough to have pre-ordered the thing. We started to talk about whether or not we should get our name on the order list or not. After reassuring her that we wouldn't have to pay until we picked up the book she okd it. She decided to look for baby books so I went to the info desk.
Me: I'd like to order the new Harry Potter book.
Bookseller: Sorry, we closed the list at 3p this afternoon. We should have plenty of copies though.
Me: Ok. We can wait. Say, out of curiosity, how many copies did the store order?
Bookseller: 6000.
Me: Really?!? Wow. How many do you have on the list?
Bookseller: Over 4000.
Me: That's amazing. Good luck tomorrow night.
We'll pick it up sometime soon I'm sure. I'd like to time it for the FP Gal's last class. Give her something to read between work and labor. I'm a little afraid of running into spoilers between now and then. Wish us luck!

2 comments:

Alfred T. Mahan said...

Out of curiosity, what time did you stop by? I stopped by around 9 o'clock or so, and yes, I saw the Potter fans outside getting ready for the release. It was intereting talking with the booksellers; they seem to be taking it in stride for the most part.

When I worked at the downtown Mpls B&N, I have to say there was very little fandom on that scale, but then, I can understand why, given the locale.

Peder said...

This would have closer to 7p. We didn't see anyone outside at that time. The booksellers probably think it's fun since it's out of the routine. I know if I still worked there I'd have volunteered to work tonight.
Can you imagine camping overnight outside the Nicollet Mall location? That would show real dedication.