Saturday, July 14, 2007

Baby update

I'd like to officially change my guess on the baby's arrival. I'm going to continue guessing that it's a girl. One of the strange things about waiting to find out if it's a boy or a girl is that you constantly lean one way or the other. It's difficult (impossible?) to think of someone that you love as being an it. We've fixed that partially by giving the baby the nickname 'Godot', but you still can't help thinking 'girl' or 'boy'.
I was convinced early on that we were having a girl because I've long thought that a boy would be easier to raise. (I still think that and the idea of raising a teenage girl scares me more than any other part of this parenting thing.) A few months back something changed and I started thinking it was probably a boy. The FP Gal is carrying low and we all know that it's been scientifically proved that that means a boy, right?
So now I've changed back to thinking it's a girl. Why? Because of the names we've picked out. We haven't shared the names (you can ask the FP Gal why) but we actually settled on names pretty early. We found out we were pregnant in December and had names picked out by New Years. Or so we thought. While we love the girl's name, the boy's name didn't quite work. She was never completely happy with it and the middle name didn't work for me. So a few weeks ago we switched gears and started trying out new names for a boy.
No, Beowulf didn't make the cut. But we stumbled upon a really good one. One we're both excited about. One that's new and fresh and we hope we can use. So of course we'll have a girl and that one will have to wait for later. (I know, Hostile Universe theory and all that but I'm still superstitious!)
Oh! I didn't mention why I'm changing my arrival guess. It's simple really. I've caught football fever and am waiting for it to come back. The Vikings first preseason game is on Aug 10th. If the FP Gal goes into labor that evening I'll miss the game entirely. Give some time for labor and voila!, right on her due date. Mark it down.

No comments: