Saturday, July 21, 2007

Lucky

Part one of a Future Poltergeist short story.

So I’m standing in the security line trying hard not to look nervous. Trying to blend in. Not easy when you’re all swelled up and look like you’re hiding a watermelon under your shirt. I remember being about three people away from having my itinerary checked and trying to figure out how to handle the security guy.
Actually I was glad it was a guy. I kept an eye out for a wedding ring and didn’t see one. My luck was working for me! An unmarried guy would be the least eager to give a pregnant woman a hard time. The worst possible thing I could have run into was a suspicious woman with five kids at home. I took this lucky combo as a sign of good luck. Maybe this crazy thing would work after all.
My turn. We exchanged greetings and I could see him sizing me up to figure out if I would go into labor at any minute.
I caught his eye and tried to sound playful, “Don’t worry, the doctor says I’m good to fly for another couple of weeks. I’ve got a note…”
“Don’t worry about it.” He gave a small sigh of relief, looked at my itinerary and ID and passed me through. I figured that would be my toughest hurdle and I was past it!
Too bad about the note though. I really did have it with me. It had taken me some good time and sweat to write it up and make the letterhead look convincing. The doctor’s name had come from a clinic directory and I just had to hope that I didn’t run into his neighbor or something like that. I guess I felt a little irked that all that I went through all that effort and didn’t need to use it.
A quick shake of the head and I threw that thought right out. The less complications the better. My goal was not to have to rely on fake papers, remember? With any luck I’d make it through the whole flight without any trouble.
Actually, it looked like trouble up ahead at the metal detector. One of the security people was a matronly type who was starting to eye me. That’s the trouble with looking this pregnant. You look like a bomb to some people. At least I didn’t wear a shirt that said “Tick, tick, tick…”.
“Oh my,” she said. “You look like you could go at any minute!” At least she had a kindly grandmother look in her eyes.
“Nope, still a few months to go. I just look really big.”
“Yes, you do!”
“I’ve got a note…”. Looks like I might have to use it after all. I started to dig for it.
“No, that’s fine. Do you know if it’s a boy or a girl?”
“We’re waiting to find out.”
“Oh, that’s wonderful! Too many of you young ones spoil the surprise.”
“Yes, we want the surprise.” That was the second time I said ‘we’. She started looking for the father. “I’m meeting him when the plane lands.”
“I see. Do you need a wheelchair to the terminal?” She reached for my boarding pass.
“Thank you, no. I’ve got plenty of time before the flight leaves and thought I might grab some food first.”
She finally let me go. I got my bag from the conveyor and took a few steps away. Noticed a sign for a ladies room and went that way. Found a stall and sat down. Once I was away from prying eyes I could let my guard down for a second and have the shakes. I must have been crazy when I agreed to do this!
After a few minutes I was back under control. I gave my belly a quick rub, stood up and went back out into the terminal. On the way there, I picked up a book at the airport bookstore. If I could bury my nose in a book, maybe no one would bother me. The less contact I had with anyone the better.
Got to the gate and looked at the clock. Plenty of time. It had been tough trying to figure out when to arrive. There have been so many horror stories in the news about people missing their flights that I didn’t want to show up late. On the other hand, if I got there too early the drugs would have time to wear off. It had taken less time than I feared so I was in good shape.
Maybe I would get some food. As if on cue my belly rumbled. Well, that’s two votes I thought and went to find something. The only stores nearby were fast food, but that suited me. A quick burger and fries and I’d be all set.
Should I have mentioned strange cravings? Or ordered some weird combo on my sandwich? I figured that was taking it too far. I just got some food and quickly ate it.
Back to the gate just in time to hear an announcement. The woman at the gate was saying something about my flight number. Something about storms. And a delay! That really could be a problem.
I turned to someone next to me, “Excuse me, what did she just say?”
“Storms out east and the plane is late. They hope we’ll only be an hour late.”
I thanked him and found someplace to sit. An hour late? I was trying to do the math in my head and see if that would still work. I know it was only an hour but the timing was a little critical. Other passengers started grumbling but they didn’t have the problems I did.
You see, despite my appearance, I wasn’t pregnant.

No comments: