Saturday, July 14, 2007

Harry Potter and Order of the Phoenix - 2007

This was easily my least favorite of the books so I didn't have high hopes going in to the movie. I thought the book was bloated and wandering. In bad need of an editor. Given the tendency for long movies in the series I didn't know how they could keep this one interesting. Simple answer: get out a red pen and cut the story down to what the book should have been.
It's a dark movie. If you catch part of the first one on cable sometime you'll see that it's almost childlike in it's wonder. Not so here as this is clearly intended for teens. It's been long observed that this series is unique in that it's matured along with it's audience. The later books are much more mature than the earlier ones. This is the point of the story where that takes place.
I won't sum up the plot because you've either read the books and know the story or haven't and don't want anything spoiled. I'll just say that it was a very good adaptation. In a summer of bad sequels, that's nothing to be ashamed of.

No comments: