Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Chichen Itza revisited (or simply visited)

I'd forgotten that Carrie visited Chichen Itza just two years ago.
We climbed the high pyramid – El Castillo or the Temple of Kucklakan. It was amazing. It is SO steep. Pictures do not do it justice. While climbing up the pyramid you can practically remain standing and put your hands out in front of you on the steps going up. Once you get up there, your heart kind of falls into your stomach as it is high up there and there is no railing or safety features to be found! You can walk around the top of the temple and see an amazing view of the surrounding jungle, and small town and of course of the other ruins. The way back down was the scariest part. I went down on my butt as the thought of my foot slipping and me tumbling into those climbing up sent shivers down my spine and turned my legs into rubber. Whew! Scary. Scary. Scary. No wonder they keep an ambulance in the woods behind the pyramid!
It does sound amazing.

1 comment:

DD4 said...

Only Heidi climbed the pyramid when she and I toured Chichen Itza. Somewhere I have a photo of her climbing up. I was too much of a chicken to try it.
Part of what I enjoyed was our 2+ hour bus ride getting to Chichen Itza. We went through primitive villages that I had no idea still existed - saw things like a single clay oven out in the yard used for all of the baking and pigs running loose in the yards. The only electricity in the entire village was to a single TV and the satellite that brought educational channels to the children (their schooling). The tour guide told us the only furniture in the adobe huts is a single hammock on which the entire family sleeps.