Friday, July 13, 2007

Petra


I was wrong yesterday, my Aunt Donna emailed this morning:
I just wanted to let you know that your Uncle David and I have been to PETRA two times. We were blown away by it’s size and beauty. It is a fascinating place. Maybe you and the FP gal can get there some time. We did it both times as a side trip from Israel.
It does sound pretty cool. There are pictures and history here. They used the site for the last bit of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. The city was vital and an important part of the region in antiquity. A change in trade routes (mostly seafaring) brought about a decline. An earthquake in the 4th century damaged the waterworks and it became deserted.
Here's the part that interests me. It wasn't discovered by Europeans until 1812. Most discoveries of this sort took place in the 15th, 16th and 17th centuries. The exceptions were mostly lost in jungles or defended by disease. This spot wasn't that far off the beaten path. It was in an area that Europeans had contact with for centuries. The only special precaution needed was water and camels. (Well, it interests me.)
So, that's all Seven Wonders. If anyone else wants to email me about their trip to one of them, I'll be glad to write that up too.

4 comments:

Hans said...

Who of us has been to the Colliseum?

I've only been to Christ the Redeemer in Rio. Of the other nominated ones, I've only been to the Statue of Liberty and the Eifel Tower. I've seen the Haggia Sophia from the water, but haven't been there. The temple in Kyoto was on our list of spots to go to, but we ran out of time. Oh well. I've got at least 80 years left to see the rest.

Peder said...

I thought you had been there. What did you see while you were in Rome? Aunt Donna and Uncle David have the coliseum covered too.

Hans said...

Sadly, I've never been to Rome, though it's on my very short list of places to go. I've been to Naples a couple of times, Sicily a couple times, Bari on the Adriatic, and Cagliari on Sardinia, but never to Rome. Soon, maybe.

DD4 said...

Heidi and I have been to Chichen Itza, Mexico.