Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Hero?


My brother emailed to ask if this man is a hero or not. He just might be as he's figured out a way past the security lines, poor foods and long delays that are becoming more commonplace for a domestic flight. Seriously, all this trouble for a trip to Idaho.
My favorite part from the article:
Couch is the latest American to emulate Larry Walters — who in 1982 rose three miles above Los Angeles in a lawn chair lifted by balloons. Walters had surprised an airline pilot, who radioed the control tower that he had just passed a guy in a lawn chair. Walters paid a $1,500 penalty for violating air traffic rules.
Would love to have heard that radio call. Heidi, do they train you on how to handle this type of thing? Just look at that picture there. Gorgeous, isn't it? I'd prefer to do it in a hot air balloon but to each their own I guess.
Hero? He will be to some people and I can't really blame them. His crazy dream put a smile on faces all over the country.

8 comments:

Hans said...

I don't think hero is too strong a word.

I think I'm going to go to the Hallmark store and then to Home Depot later. Maybe you'll read about it by tomorrow.

MamaD4 said...

Hans has a really large life insurance policy or else I'd never encourage him to tackle a project of this magnitude.

Alfred T. Mahan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alfred T. Mahan said...

Hans, I don't use the word "hero" very often, but you are the greatest hero in American history.

MamaD4 said...

Thanks a lot Andrew, it's not bad enough that Hans' head has its moon orbiting it that you have to say something like that...

MamaD4 said...

Its OWN moon, I mean.

Peder said...

I'm searching the news but I don't see anything yet. Are the winds out to sea? Make sure you've planned for this is all I'm saying.

Brian said...

We are trained for this. We would plot the place, movement, altitude call a special number that would wait for him to get back to the ground. We would tell every pilot in that area what it going on and ask any of them if they have any guns.
Personal note. Yes I jumped out of an airplane, but I would NEVER do this.