Thursday, July 05, 2007

Vertigo - 1958

The movie opens with Jimmy Stewart chasing a criminal across the rooftops of San Francisco. He misses a jump and ends up dangling by his fingertips. This gives him a severe fear of heights that causes vertigo and incapacitates him. He has to quit the police force.
An old college friend hears that he's retired and asks him to tail his wife. Not because he's afraid she's playing around but because he's afraid she has been possessed from beyond the grave. Stewart reluctantly consents. He follows her to a graveside, a portrait and old hotel. He begins to become convinced.
I'm afraid to say anything more because there are some surprises to be sure. The storytelling in this film is very interesting as there are long periods of time without dialogue. As Stewart is tailing her, for instance, we're treated to his viewpoint from the car and little else. This is challenging and rewarding. Hitchcock compliments his audience's ability to pay attention. Also of note, this is the least sympathetic of Stewart's characters that I can ever remember. It also features a top notch score.
So is it a great movie? Ninth best American movie of all time? I don't think so. There's probably half a dozen Hitchcock films that I liked more than this. The story is more interesting than compelling. It features a very lame nightmare sequence. Overall, it's good but not great. I can only guess that it gets such high marks because of the camera work and cinematography. It's worth watching but if you've got a Hitchcock itch, you can do better.

2 comments:

I Love Barbershop said...

I think I did see that movie a long time ago, but after reading your comments about it, I want to see it again.

If your mother and I have done a good enough job babysitting this week, maybe we can do it again for the new baby.

Peder said...

That's a deal!